Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Horse Heaven


For many years, my husband has encouraged me to do something for myself.....a release from the daily stresses, the children, my schedule, etc...For whatever reason, I have always ignored those urgings..maybe it's motherly guilt, Italian guilt....whatever, but everyone else has always come first....UNTIL NOW!!!! Call me crazy, but I have finally done something just for me. A release that provides exercise, fun, love and solitude (if desired). You guessed it...I got a horse!! He's magnificent! Black Jack stands 18-hands, (as you can see by the picture, that's extremely large. I'm 5'7" and he towers over me! The 2nd picture is of Black Jack with my youngest, Caroline!) He's as big as a barn, but as gentle as a lamb. In a word: perfect! I have always enjoyed riding, an activity I began when I was just 5 years old! But when I went to college, my favorite pastime fell by the wayside. After college it was work, than marriage, children and family. As you probably can relate, "life got in the way." But now I've decided to take the selfish approach. My children are old enough to fend for themselves and my husband tells me I need something to do besides clean the house!! Since Black Jack just arrived, I've only had the opportunity to ride him twice. He's like riding a cloud! His trot isn't harsh and jarring, his canter is as smooth as silk...and when it's just him and me....it's awesome. No screaming kids, no barking dogs, no TV, phone or other annoying electronic device....just me atop this magnificent creature and the sounds of the world around us. It's solitude at it's finest. I have found my inner sanctum from our crazy world and it's big, black, white and loving. I'm in horse heaven and I think I'll stay here for a long while......

2 comments:

Terry said...

What a beautiful horse... No wonder you are in heaven...

Heidi said...

Hi Jennifer - good for you. You deserve some time for yourself and what a lucky horse!
Thanks for having me on the show Wednesday and for your support of animals in need.
Sincerely,
Heidi Nielsen