Sunday, November 23, 2008


As you may, or may not know, I'm a graduate from THE Ohio State University. It's a phenomenal institution known for it's medical research, agricultural breakthroughs, veterinarian college, countless exceptional programs and a little thing called Big 10 Football! As a girl from a small town in Rhode Island, I couldn't comprehend the greatness of this football team until I attended my first football game at Ohio State in the shoe. (it's now closed, but when I attended Ohio Stadium was a horseshoe!) It was awe inspiring. The fans, all 65-thousand of them, are completely out of control. (today the stadium holds more than 110-thousand!)Tailgating starts the night before and the alumni are far crazier than the students! And win or lose, Ohio State fans know how to celebrate or drown their sorrows. I've done my share of both! But regardless of how well the Buckeyes play, the entire season hinges on 1 vital game: Michigan!! Ohio State can lose every game of the season, but a win against Michigan erases all those losses. And vice versa...an undefeated season up until the Michigan game can be wiped out with a loss to the Wolverines. I was fortunate to watch Ohio State beat Michigan 3 out of the 4-years I was there....and craziness ensues. It's a feeling like no other, a rivalry unsurpassed by even Florida-Florida State..... .. This past Saturday, I plopped myself in front of the boob tube to watch my Buckeyes take on the blue and maize...life stops for every true Buckeye fan during this game....(as well as every Michigan fan!) The first quarter was tenuous and I was doubting my Buckeyes could pull off the win...but then the 2nd quarter started and it was all downhill for the Wolverines... The Buckeye intercepted, recovered fumbles, sacked their quarterback, ran back punts for 85-yards and just crushed Michigan. It was an incredible feeling for any Ohio State alumni...and of course, it gives all of us the most obnoxious bragging rights against any Michigan fan (sorry to my dear Michigan friends..you know who you are! ) The final score 42-7 doesn't really represent how well Ohio State played...or how badly Michigan played...but at least for the next few days I can gloat! To add insult to injury....The win not only clinched a 5th-shared or outright Big Ten championship for Ohio State under coach Jim Tressel, but it also was the 5th-consecutive win for Ohio State over Michigan – a first in 119 seasons of football!!!! Oh yeah, maybe I'll be an obnoxious Ohio State fan the whole week!! GO BUCKS!!

No comments: