Thursday, June 4, 2009

Graduation


Another milestone! My oldest, Samantha, graduated from South Fork High School in Martin County on Wednesday, June 3rd! (here she is with her little sister, my youngest, Caroline!) All my friends told me, "bring the tissues." I ignored them, figuring this is a celebration. I'm thrilled Sam's graduating, so why would I cry? I didn't think it would have such an emotional impact. Boy, was I wrong! I have to give myself credit...I made it through the ceremony, laughing, clapping for Samantha and all her friends. Then it all went to hell in a hand-basket when we met after the ceremony. I found myself crying like a school girl. Every thought raced through my head...she's an adult now, off to college soon. Will she be successful? Have I taught her enough to handle the cruelties life has to offer? How will she handle college and being on her own? Will she eat right, get enough sleep, stay away from the "bums" of the world? I finally realized she has to make her own decisions now...find the answers for herself...stumble and make mistakes and learn from those mistakes...while I watch from afar and offer what words of wisdom I can. Life is tough, but I believe Samantha has what it takes to conquer most of life's challenges...but if she doesn't..I'll be here to catch her! And yes, I'm sure I'll be crying through all of it.....

1 comment:

Terry said...

If you thought the graduation was tough, wait. There will be the time when she moves to college and then you will need a case of tissues. Because a box will not do. Words could never explain a mother's love.