Thursday, December 11, 2008

THE BIG 18TH!!

It's hard to believe that my oldest is 18! As everyone says, "where did the time go?" It's scary to realize that she's now an adult...legal in almost every aspect of the word! And as a parent, I hope that the morals and ethics my husband and I have tried so diligently to instill in our children, will actually take hold. These are virtues that only time will reveal........On to the subject at hand...On Samantha's 18th birthday we enjoyed a quiet dinner with the family and a few friends. She wanted it to be a laid back affair...me, I wanted a party! (maybe for her high school graduation!) But I had anticipated this day for many years because I had a special surprise for her. When Sam was a little girl, her father and I divorced. Instead of completely trashing (or selling) my wedding ring, my dear friend Gail suggested that I remove the main diamond and replace it with Sam's birthstone (mind you, Sam was only a toddler at the time!) As a matter of fact, Gail (Sam's Godmother) bought the single diamond from me (I was desperate for money at the time!) and as a gift to me had the setting refitted with a yellow topaz! (the birthstone for November). The ring was beautiful! I decided at that moment to give it to Samantha when she turned 18...hence my anticipation for her birthday. Since the day it was set, the ring has sat in my jewelry box waiting for Samantha to become an adult. We were all gathered around the kitchen table as Sam opened her presents....a digital camera, a new shirt, a couple of pairs of jeans... She was delighted. As everyone started to leave the table, I asked them all to please wait because I had a special gift for Samantha....everyone sat back down and looked puzzled...what could this gift be? As I turned to Sam to present her with the small package, I started to cry....I couldn't even get the words out to explain the history of the gift....she grabbed the box with trembling hands and opened it ever so slowly. When she saw the ring, she too started to cry..(As a matter of fact, everyone had a tear in his eye) ....it truly was a unique mother-daughter moment..and one I will never forget... I guess I did good......I only wish I could say that about all my parenting skills......







No comments: