Monday, October 20, 2008

Sacrifice



This past Saturday night I had the pleasure of being invited to ride the zamboni after the first period of the Florida Panthers-New York Islanders game. An opportunity I have dreamed of for years. I remember as a child watching with awe as that big machine "cleaned" the ice for the Boston Bruins. I thought it would be so cool to be able to make the ice "like glass" for the players. What power!!




So Saturday night, I arrived an hour early at the Bank Atlantic Center for my big ride. My kids joined me to witness the event. Actually, they thought it would be embarrassing...an adult riding in the jump seat on the zamboni! What could I be thinking? Mom, come on..it's reserved for kids and now you're going to ride on the zamboni?" You're taking a kids place? How dare you....



So, at the appointed time I met Terry (a nice woman in the Panthers marketing department). I took my youngest daughter, Caroline, with me, who at 13, wanted to see this from the ground level. We were joined by another couple with 2-small children. I soon learned the 4-year old boy would be riding the 2nd-Zamboni for his birthday present! We were all ushered to the bowels of the Bank Atlantic Center to meet our designated Zamboni drivers. The conversation lingered on the rides and how small children are selected every home game to ride the Zamboni.....again, how dare I steal a child's spot.....The time arrived...the Zambonis were fired up (2 are used to clean the ice) . The little boy proudly took his spot sitting next to the driver on the yellow Zamboni. The driver of the 2nd Zamboni (the purple one) looked at me and said..."so who's joining me?" I faltered, looked at the huge smile on that little boy's face, watched my daughter look with wonder at this massive machine and made my decision.... "Go ahead Caroline, that seat's reserved for you!" She beamed with delight....As the Zamboni took the ice, I stood "ice-side" watching my youngest get the thrill of her life....a once in a lifetime opportunity that I gladly passed along to my daughter. A sacrifice that made me smile with joy...a warmth that only a mother knows. Yes, the Zamboni is an awesome machine, but as the guidelines state, that passenger's seat is reserved for the children of South Florida. I applaud the Florida Panthers for giving kids this unique opportunity, one that will stay with them for the rest of their lives....and one I will remember till the day I push up daisies!

1 comment:

Terry said...

Mom's do anything to put a smile on our children's face, no matter how old they are.